Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art

3 posters

Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Cinema

Post by sembon Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Yesterday for the first time in my life i went to cinema again to see the same film for a 2nd time. And it was still breathtaking. I doesnt make me wonder when Christopher Nolan (Memento) says he worked for about 10 years to make "Inception". The film is very intelligent, actors do a great job (especially Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page & Marion Cotillard), Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is just awesome. Usually i dont watch Blockbusters cause they tend to be superficial, but in this movie i guess every dollar spent made sense (except maybe some action scenes).

Rating: 5 Stars

sembon

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Re: Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art

Post by fahmy Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 am

Agree totally. One of those 'blockbuster' movies that are actually intellectually engaging and original in concept. One more thing that I have to mention about the soundtrack is that it was a collaboration between Zimmer and Johnny Marr - one of my all time guitar heros from one of my all time favourite bands: The Smiths.

Speaking of other movies, I recently came across a brilliant one by Danish director Lars Von Trier (famous for The Kingdom series) called Dogville. This one is just a masterpiece.
fahmy
fahmy

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Egyptian sites and sounds

Post by fahmy Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 am

I came across this well made promotional film about Egypt:

fahmy
fahmy

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art

Post by NoStyleNoFinesse Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 am

Blessed with a mind-boggling mixture and melting-pot of mainstream cultures, Egypt boasts an amazing variety of outings. This topic covers covers arts & leisure, featuring fashion, theatre, cinema, movies, food, wine, music, festivals, culture and events, books and literature.
NoStyleNoFinesse
NoStyleNoFinesse

http://elgounafc.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Algerian writers denounce ban on Egyptian books

Post by NoStyleNoFinesse Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:47 am

Algeria decides not to invite Egypt to the upcoming Algiers International Book Fair, raising tension levels between the two countries to a new level.

According to Mohamed Saber Arab, head of the General Egyptian Book Organization, all other Arab countries have been invited except Egypt.The Algiers Book Fair is slated for this October.

Arab said in a statement issued on Wednesday that ignoring Egyptian publishers will only harm Algerian readers, as “Egyptian publishing houses are responsible for 40 percent of published work in the Arab world.”

He called on the Algerian government “to reconsider its decision that will harm the relations between the two countries on an official level and [among the people as well].”

However, according to Algerian daily Chorouk, Algiers International Book Fair Commissioner Ismail Ameziane has argued that the absence of Egyptian publishers from this cultural event will have little impact on the fair, saying that more than 100 Arab publishers from Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Libya, Tunisia and Morocco have confirmed their attendance.

Dalia Ibrahim, vice president of publishing powerhouse Nahdit Masr described the incident as “painful”.

“The financial revenue we receive from our sales in the Algiers Book Fair is almost nothing, so publishing houses like Nahdit Masr won’t be affected greatly by this on the financial level, but on the national and Arab level, this is a great loss,” Ibrahim told Daily News Egypt.

Ameziane said that “the decision to exclude Egyptian publishers is a natural reaction to the spiteful campaign launched by the Egyptians through their satellite channels against the Algerian people. They have insulted our symbols and the Algerians didn’t overcome this crisis”.

Ibrahim told Daily News Egypt, “The words and actions of Egyptian intellectuals and media personalities shouldn’t affect the decisions of government and cultural institutions.”

Ameziane also justified the decision by saying that his institution cannot protect the Egyptian delegation in case of trouble with zealous youngsters who could lose their control, which, he said “is very understandable”.

On the other hand, Arab said that despite Algeria’s position, Egypt plans to invite Algeria to its annual Cairo International Book Fair, scheduled for January 2011.

Ibrahim hailed the decision. “We as a people and a country are opening our arms to Algeria and welcoming them. If they choose to refuse us, then that’s their responsibility,” she said.

Algeria had boycotted the Cairo book fair in 2010.

Meanwhile, Algerian intellectuals have signed a petition urging that a ban on Egyptian books at Algeria's international book fair be revoked, after the two countries fell out over a football match.

Intellectuals across Algeria, Europe and North America signed the petition, initiated by Ahmed Bensaada, a physicist and author living in Canada, condemning a decision by the book fair's organizers to exclude Egyptian literature from its next event.

The intellectuals found "abhorrent this unilateral attempt to punish Egyptian literature and Algerian readers whereas the Algerian team continued to play football — the initial source of the conflict — with the Egyptian team," according to the petition published on the internet and in several Algeria newspapers.
NoStyleNoFinesse
NoStyleNoFinesse

http://elgounafc.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art Empty Re: Egyptian Lifestyle, Culture, Music, Literature & Art

Post by fahmy Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

The Algerian government and authorities are scared of their 'zealous youngsters' causing trouble....this Ameziane describing their actions however as 'very understandable' is a whole different story(!). Talk about holding a grudge and enjoying it.
Whatever the reasons are for this decision...it is very sad to say the least, and would cause more antagonism between the two peoples. Thankfully there are Algerians out there who can see through the folly of this.

fahmy
fahmy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down